Interview with George Hayhoe, editor of Technical Communication Journal, on Technical Writing in China and Korea
Download the MP3 file
Duration: 25 min.
Keith Hoffman, president of the Madison Wisconsin Four Lakes Chapter, talks with George Hayhoe, editor of the Technical Communication Journal, about the emergence of technical communications in China and Korea, and the forces behind the push for technical communicators.
The interview touches on some of the following questions:
- What is the technical writing profession like in China?
- Did anything surprise you about the technical communication profession in China?
- Does software piracy help China's IT industry?
- How can we get the tech writing industry off the ground in China?
- What is technical communication like in Korea?
- How is our profession growing in these countries?
- What role does certification play in the emerging tech comm disciplines in these countries?
- How does having STC chapters in China and Korea change the overall STC?
- What impact will the global growth of technical communication have on our field?
- What skills should technical communicators develop for success in the global environment?
About George Hayhoe
George Hayhoe is professor of technical communication at Mercer University School of Engineering, and previously taught at technical and professional communication at East Carolina University and Utah State University. He also spent 18 years working in industry.
A fellow of the Society for Technical Communication, he has served as editor of the society's journal, Technical Communication, since 1996. He is also a senior member of the Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the IEEE Professional Communication Society, and is a past president of that society.
He led the People to People professional communication delegation to the People's Republic of China in 2002, and also made a more recent trip to Korea.
Note: Thanks to Bill Albing at keycontent.org for suggesting the interview with George.
To contact Keith, send an email to [email protected].
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical communication — Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, academics, and more. I'm interested in simplifying complexity, API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a technical writer of any kind (progressional, transitioning, student), be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.