Wikis Are Coming: An In-Depth Exploration of Using Wikis in Documentation — Interview with Katriel Reichman (Israel)
Download the MP3 file
Duration: 37 min.
In this podcast, Katriel Reichman, a technical writer at Method M in Jerusalem, Israel, talks in-depth about how to use wikis for documentation.
Here are the topics covered in the podcast:
- When to use wikis instead of traditional help authoring tools
- The best projects for wikis
- Challenges with wikis
- The ongoing nature of wiki projects
- Tampering with user contributions
- Exporting wiki content to other formats
- Complaints from users about wikis
- Insightful contributions from users through wikis
- Recommended wiki tools
- Dokuwiki, Mediawiki, and SharePoint 2007
- Getting corporate buy-in for wikis
- Open source and the threat to technical writers
- Strategic corporate moves with wikis
- Technical writing in Israel
The cool Celtic music is from fellow tech writer Harry Miller's Ceol Miners Band.
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
About Katriel Reichman
From his bio: Katriel is CEO and founder of Method M Ltd. and is passionate about the benefits of structured authoring solutions, and successfully implementing documentation solutions.
Katriel is the author of the How To Write Winning Documents series and has led implementation of successful documentation automation solutions. He is the leader of the popular Method M DITA Immersion Workshops.
Prior to Method M, he founded, owned and managed a technical document company with more than 30 in-house document professionals and developed a series of highly successful software applications for technical writers.
- You can contact Katriel at [email protected].
- Katriel's blog is at http://methodm.com/blog/
- His company is Method M ("the method is in the message").
My Skype connection fluctuated a few times during the podcast, just so you know.
About Tech Writer Voices
Tech Writer Voices is a podcast specifically for technical communicators. The weekly show features interviews, conversations, tips, and other information for those who write help content.
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical communication — Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, academics, and more. I'm interested in , API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a technical writer of any kind (progressional, transitioning, student), be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.