Top 10 Gag Christmas Gifts for Technical Writers
- Fortune cookies with fortunes rewritten as numbered lists.
- Bobblehead with favorite SME's face pasted on the front.
- Stack of how-to manuals from everything you assembled for Christmas.
- Copy of that House episode with the agoraphobe tech writer and comment "Saw this and thought of you." *
- "Certificate" of year's achievements with typos on it. *
- Jigsaw puzzle of the current interface the tech writer is documenting, but rearranged.
- Photo calendar of the project team with month-by-month candid shots, mostly in meetings.
- Pen with the inscription, "Hold nothing back" (but remove ink).
- Microsoft Manual of Style with lengthy inscription from Sarah Palin.
- Copy of the author's favorite style sheet written in Japanese calligraphy.
* Thanks to Kirstyt for contributing #4 and #5.
If you have any additional gift ideas, please add them in the comments below.
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical communication — Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, academics, and more. I'm interested in simplifying complexity, API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a technical writer of any kind (progressional, transitioning, student), be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.