"Load config.xml failed" message with Notepad++
Notepad++ is my favorite text editor, but lately it's been acting a bit berzerk. Every time I open it, NotePad++ says Load Config.xml failed, or something like that. It's been bugging me for weeks. I finally found the fix here. If you get a load config.xml failed message, take these general steps to fix it:
- Go to C:Program FilesNotepad++ (or wherever the program files are).
- Copy the config. model and stylers.model files.
- Go to C:UsersyourusernameAppDataRoamingNotepad++. (If you don't seen an AppData folder, just type the path and the files will appear.)
- If you see an existing config.xml and stylers.xml file in this folder, delete them.
- Paste the files you copied in step 2.
- Rename the pasted files to config.xml and stylers.xml.
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical communication — Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, academics, and more. I'm interested in , API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a technical writer of any kind (progressional, transitioning, student), be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.