The other day Shannon called and said I should come home because water was bubbling up in the sprinkler box in the yard. I don't know anything about sprinkler systems, so with a sense of dread I drove home. Sure enough, the valve box was a puddle of water. I do know how to shut off the water to the sprinklers, so I did that and then waited for the water to soak down into the ground or evaporate.
The next day, when the water was dry, I checked the sprinkler box again and found a crack in one of the valves. I turned the sprinklers back on and saw the water shoot out of the crack. Since much of sprinkler repair seems to be hunting for the broken pipe, and digging aimlessly for it, I felt lucky to see the actual break.
I googled the problem a bit and learned that the valve was called an irrigation valve. There were a few videos on installing irrigation valves, and it looked fairly easy to do -- if all the pieces were new and exposed and easy to reach. The only problem was that I couldn't turn any of the pipes and simply unscrew the old pipe to insert the new valve in place.
I needed some advice on how to fix the cracked valve. I have a mechanical engineer friend who knows all about sprinklers, and he said I would need to dig out the ground a bit and "clip" the old pipe in order to unscrew it from the valve.
This was the first time I'd dug into the ground to find the sprinklers. I tried my best to dig, but the ground where I live is nothing but rocky clay, so after 20 minutes of using my shovel like a pick axe and getting nowhere, I soaked the ground with water, waited 20 minutes, and then shoveled again. The ground moved like butter.
I unearthed the pipes and realized the pipes and valves were more complicated than they originally appeared. Three pipes connected together in a tight space. Getting out the cracked valve would be more problematic than I thought. It all looked confusing, and I was wary of "clipping" a pipe.
At a lunch with my father-in-law, I asked him for advice on how to reconnect the pipe once I cut it, and he drew a diagram on a napkin and taught me some new terminology. The sprinkler box was a "manifold." To connect the pipes I would need a "union" or "slip joint" or "connection coupling."
I went to Home Depot and bought some spare parts according to what my father-in-law had said. The clerk gave me some more advice and told me what he thought I needed. Luckily sprinkler parts are cheap. I also bought a hacksaw and pair of channel locks.
Returning to the job, I cut the pipe that connected to the broken valve, and then attached the new valve. But to reconnect the pipe with a new coupling, I would need to bend back the pipe to make it fit. The pipe, however, wouldn't bend at all. I consulted again with my sprinkler friend, and he said that the pipe wouldn't move while it was impacted in the ground. I would need to dig a foot out on each side so that I could flex back the pipe and fit in the coupling.
After more digging, I had a big hole in my yard and another wheelbarrow full of dirt. I unearthed about two feet more of the pipe. Sure enough, the pipe now had more flex. I was still a little unclear about how to reconnect all the pipes, but I had to do something more than just stare at the problem, so I just applied the blue glue (which dries in ten seconds) and pulled the pipe back to fit over the coupling. I fit it together, but as I was screwing the pipe onto the new valve, I realized I had cut the pipe too short.
I stared at the problem again, scratching my head. Luckily the store clerk recommended that I buy an extra coupling. I asked my mechanical engineer friend for more advice (he happened to be walking down the street at the time), and he said I could cut the pipe again and add my second coupling next to the first to elongate the pipe. I did that, and sure enough it worked. Here's a little video showing the solution.
This blog isn't about sprinkler repair. But the experience made me reflect on problem solving. Regardless of our jobs, it seems that problem solving follows the same general steps.
Despite my "methodology" in the steps above, I candidly recognize that not all problems are this simple. If I could solve every problem in my life by following these five steps, life would be a cakewalk. But life is much tougher. For example, financial problems, behavioral problems, psychological problems -- these are not so easily solved in a three-day, five-step process. However, I think that the points above do provide a starting point.
In my life, I let many of the problems that surround me go unchallenged. Either I'm lazy, or I don't believe the solution is achievable, or I've become desensitized to the problem and have learned to live with it. I've given up tackling the problems as problems, if you know what I mean. It takes a little thing like a broken sprinkler to boost my confidence and spur me to tackle other, more significant problems.
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. Topics I write about on this blog include the following technical communication topics: Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, and certificate programs. I'm interested in information design, API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a professional or aspiring technical writer, be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.