Podcast: Technical Writing in Agile Environments -- Interview with Alyssa Fox
Download MP3 (to download, right-click and select Save Target As)
Duration: 28 min.
In this podcast, I interview Alyssa Fox, an information development manager at NetIQ, about technical writing in agile environments. Agile environments involve short iterations of product development, such as three to six weeks to complete a release, rather than the longer one to two years of product development before releases.
Writing in an agile environment requires a different authoring methodology. On Alyssa's team, each writer attends scrum meetings for each project and completes the help by the end of each iteration (rather than waiting until the project's end).
Topics in this podcast include:
- How writing in agile environments differs from writing in traditional waterfall environments
- Techniques to ensure thorough document review in agile environments
- Knowing when to attend meetings and when to skip them
- Properly allocating writers across multiple projects without losing efficiency
- Why authoring in the agile process results in higher quality documentation
- Mobile and Agile: The Floating Writer's Survival Kit, by Alyssa Fox and Meredeth Kramer
- STC Summit 55th--Mobile and Agile: The Floating Writer's Survival Kit (PowerPoint)
- Alyssa Fox on Twitter
- Alyssa's email: alyssa dot fox at netiq.com
- Virtual Machines – IT Author Podcast
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical communication — Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, academics, and more. I'm interested in , API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a technical writer of any kind (progressional, transitioning, student), be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.