WordPress Tip: Install WordPress Locally
You can install WordPress locally on your computer if you're traveling or planning to be offline and you still want to work with WordPress.
I also embedded this video in a WordPress wiki that I'm developing.
Installing WordPress locally involves about 6 steps:
- Download and install Wampserver.
- Create a database in phpmyadmin.
- Add a user with privileges to the database.
- Download WordPress and extract to a folder in the www directory.
- Customize the wp-config-sample.php file.
- Run the WordPress install script at wp-admin/install.php.
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the California San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical communication — Swagger, agile, trends, learning, plain language, quick reference guides, tech comm careers, academics, and more. I'm interested in simplifying complexity, API documentation, visual communication, information architecture and findability, and more. If you're a technical writer of any kind (progressional, transitioning, student), be sure to subscribe to email updates using the form above. You can learn more about me here. You can also contact me with questions.