- Download OxygenXML.
There are 3 flavors: Editor, Developer, and Author. Unless you intended to get heavy into XML development, just choose Author. The Developer and Author versions just provide different perspectives of the same application.
- Create a folder on your computer where you can easily organize and access your
If you're on a Mac, I recommend that you use the /users/<username>/projects folder, since this is the default folder when you clone a repository.
- Go to .
- Expand the Topic.
Once you choose a template here, your choices will appear under a "Recently Used" section so you don't have to browse so many folders next time.
- In either the Author or Text view, create some content. For example, if you're in the
Text view, you might create
In either view, note how Oxygen will prompt you with options. In the Author view, hit your Return key to see a list of elements you can insert at a particular point.
- Save the file and called it
- Go to DITA Map. and expand the , and choose
- Save the DITA map. Call it something like
sample. Note that the extension will be
- In the DITA Map, add the bold text shown below (the rest should already be populated
Note that once you save your DITA map file, when you type
href=", the editor will show you available topics within the folder.
- While viewing your DITA map file, right-click the tab and choose Open in DITA
Maps Manager View.
The map will open in a left side pane in the DITA Maps Manager view. This view makes it easy to jump around to various topics in your help system.
In the DITA Maps Manager view, click the wrench icon (Configure Transformation Scenario(s)).
- Select DITA Map Webhelp, and then click Apply
On subsequent builds, you can just click the red triangle (Apply Transformation Scenarios) to the left of the Configure Transformation Scenario(s) button. This button will apply whatever selections you have set in the Configure Transformation Scenario(s) dialog.
Congratulations. You should see a sample webhelp output as shown below.
I'd Rather Be Writing Newsletter
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox.