Input needed:I'm gathering data about trends in developer documentation for 2020. If you write docs for developers, please take this survey. (You can view the ongoing results here.)
A Perfect Model for Online Tutorials -- MS Visio Shapes Course
This tutorial on Visio's shapes from Microsoft is the best online tutorial I think I've ever seen. If I were modeling my help after a perfect example, it would be this tutorial.
- It contains both audio and text. You can control the audio easily, or just read the text.
- Each page is short (2 minutes) so your attention span doesn't time out.
- While you listen to the audio, you look at a graphic that demonstrates the concept explained.
- You can see your progress through the course so you can see how many more screens are left.
- After 10 screens or so, you're given a quiz. Responses appear after each answer.
- After the quizzes, you have files to download and steps to walk through yourself. This helps you not just follow steps, but actually learn and grasp the material.
- Some graphics are mini-demos you can watch.
- The information is chunked and kept somewhat simple so it's not overwhelming.
- At the end of the course, you receive a quick reference card to help you remember what you learned.
- You also have the opportunity to rate the course and give feedback.