Announcement:I'm giving an API documentation workshop in Mountain View, California on August 30, 2019. If you're interested, you can register on EventBrite.
Top 10 Gag Christmas Gifts for Technical Writers
- Fortune cookies with fortunes rewritten as numbered lists.
- Bobblehead with favorite SME's face pasted on the front.
- Stack of how-to manuals from everything you assembled for Christmas.
- Copy of that House episode with the agoraphobe tech writer and comment "Saw this and thought of you."
- "Certificate" of year's achievements with typos on it.
- Jigsaw puzzle of the current interface the tech writer is documenting, but rearranged.
- Photo calendar of the project team with month-by-month candid shots, mostly in meetings.
- Pen with the inscription, "Hold nothing back" (but remove ink).
- Microsoft Manual of Style with lengthy inscription from Sarah Palin.
- Copy of the author's favorite style sheet written in Japanese calligraphy.
Thanks to Kirstyt for contributing #4 and #5.
If you have any additional gift ideas, please add them in the comments below.