Upcoming event:I'm giving an API documentation workshop in San Francisco, California, on November 19, 2019. Check it out on EventBrite and register today to receive a $100 early bird discount.
Helpful Little Tips for Life
Today I bring you a random compilation of helpful little tips -- for work, for home, or for dealing with kids, etc. -- that I've learned in life.
- If you're tired at work, rotate tasks on the half hour to stay productive.
- If you want to save money on toys, take your kids to a thrift store and let each child choose his or her own toy.
- If your bath tub drains slowly, remove the plug and use a bent coat hook to pull out the endless hair that's stopping it up.
- If your kid is having trouble riding a bike, remove the pedals, lower the seat, and let the kid scuttle along until he or she is ready for the pedals again.
- If your kids act like hooligans in stores, get a small umbrella stroller and let one of the kids push another kid (it keeps them occupied a bit more).
- If you need better sleep at night, turn off all sources of light (light prolongs the body's circadian rhythm) and sleep in total darkness.
- If your kids resist having their teeth brushed, brush in the rhythm of a song (e.g., "monkeys up, monkeys down, monkeys left ...").
- If you dread folding immense piles of laundry, pop in headphones and listen to a podcast while folding.
- If you lose your cell phone, call it with Skype.
- If you have writer's block, immerse yourself in information from books, listservs, RSS feeds, and presentations.
And one bonus tip: If something is hard to do, do it every day.