Podcast: What's New in the Field of Technical Communication?
Having taken a three-month podcasting break, it feels good to be back. In this podcast, I talk with Charles Jeter and Heidi Hansen about what's new in the field of technical communication. See the sections below for the four main topics we discuss.
Note: If you've never listened to a podcast before, see my brief page on How to Listen to Podcasts.
Major Topics Discussed
Will this new wiki/help authoring/publishing tool hybrid take off?
- Flossmanuals.net: free manuals about free software
- About Flossmanuals
Charles' post on Flossmanuals: Getting FLOSSy: Acrobat Killer or HAT Replacement?
- Anne Gentle on Booksprint Results
2. Google Chrome's comic book white paper
What can technical writers learn from Google's Chrome comic book?
3. "Why I Hate PDFs"
Is the PDF a dying format?
4. "Technical Writing -- Look Before You Leap"
Is a career in technical writing incompatible with a secret life as a creative writer?
- "Technical Writing -- Look Before You Leap," by Lain Chroust Ehmann
Minor Topics Mentioned
The following links point to topics briefly mentioned during the podcast:
- Silke Fleisher going around the world
- Silke work with bicycles
- Writer River
- WordPress as a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde application
- Pete's comment about the interview style of podcasting
- Interview of a person who actually uses DITA in real life
- Anne Gentle's blog
- Uncompetition (Peer Review) at the Puget Sound Chapter
- Free PDF Alternatives
- WordPress seminars
- Contest to win a free copy of Flare 4
- Technical writing in India
- Intercom Online
- Technical Communication Journal
- Keeping up with the latest technologies (chat transcript)
- Reasons for the break in podcasting
- Curt Rosengren's blog
- Sharon Burton's blog
- Charles' podcast with Mike Hamilton last year
Other Podcasts You Might Like
If you like the Tech Writer Voices podcast, you'll also like Alistair Christie's IT Author podcast and the DMN Communications podcast. Check them out. Alistair has recently posted two new podcasts within the past couple of weeks.
About Tom Johnson
I'm an API technical writer based in the Seattle area. On this blog, I write about topics related to technical writing and communication — such as software documentation, API documentation, AI, information architecture, content strategy, writing processes, plain language, tech comm careers, and more. Check out my API documentation course if you're looking for more info about documenting APIs. Or see my posts on AI and AI course section for more on the latest in AI and tech comm.
If you're a technical writer and want to keep on top of the latest trends in the tech comm, be sure to subscribe to email updates below. You can also learn more about me or contact me. Finally, note that the opinions I express on my blog are my own points of view, not that of my employer.