Podcast: Embracing Wikis -- Interview with Stewart Mader
Duration: 18 min.
Stewart Mader was one of the coolest people I met at Doc Train West 2008. He is a person driven by his enthusiasm for wikis.
In this podcast, Stewart talks about the following:
- Advantages of using a wiki for your technical documentation
- Why lack of advanced styles in wikis isn't a major problem
- The relentless focus on simplicity with wikis
- Choosing the right wiki among dozens of wiki engines
- Pitfalls with using an open source wiki (like Mediawiki) for your company
- Why your content (not your format) is the most important element of any wiki
- Techniques for growing wiki use and adoption in your organization
- Why customizing your wiki to look like a professional website isn't that important
- Managing multiple spaces inside wikis, and integrating with Active Directory
- Why Stewart recommends Atlassian Confluence wikis
- The number one reason why wikis fail
- Stewart Mader's blog
- Wikipatterns (Stewart's book on wikis)
- The Wiki Matrix
- Atlassian Confluence wikis (enterprise wiki software)
- 21 Days of Wiki Adoption
Stewart's PowerPoint on his Grow Your Wiki session is below.