WordPress Tip: Install WordPress Locally
You can install WordPress locally on your computer if you're traveling or planning to be offline and you still want to work with WordPress.
I also embedded this video in a WordPress wiki that I'm developing.
Installing WordPress locally involves about 6 steps:
- Download and install Wampserver.
- Create a database in phpmyadmin.
- Add a user with privileges to the database.
- Download WordPress and extract to a folder in the www directory.
- Customize the wp-config-sample.php file.
- Run the WordPress install script at wp-admin/install.php.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the Seattle area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical writing and communication — such as software documentation, API documentation, visual communication, information architecture, writing techniques, plain language, tech comm careers, and more. Check out simplifying complexity and API documentation for some deep dives into these topics. If you're a technical writer and want to keep on top of the latest trends in the field, be sure to subscribe to email updates. You can also learn more about me or contact me.