Different Uses of WordPress
You can use WordPress for much more than just a personal blog. The following sites show the variety of WordPress implementations:
- Chapter site: Suncoast STC | STC Alaska
- Special Interest Site (SIG): Hyperviews
- Competition Information: FTCC
- News: NY Times
- Store: Moo [printing]
- Hypertext book: GAM3R 7H3ORY
- Travel Guide: 71miles
- Online Magazine: XXL Magazine and Cebu Living.
- Budget: Mo.neytrack.in
- Company site: http://www.obuweb.com/ | http://www.pamtreece.com/ | http://www.quietmove.com/ | http://www.skylinesteelincaz.com/
- Store: http://www.moo.com/
- Article library: http://a-level.econoref.net/articles/
- Audio library: http://librivox.org/
- Podcast site: Tech Writer Voices | Podcast Tools
- Tutorials: How to Podcast
- Portfolio: http://www.freewaydesign.com/ For more info, see this site.
- News Aggregator: http://www.medpeek.com/
- Encyclopedia: http://www.drugsfiles.com/
- Petition site: http://www.twintowersalliance.com/petition/
- Job listing site: Suncoast Jobs
- Book: http://www.qiblah.us/
- Composition class: Writing 101
- Education: Edublogs | Harvard blogs
- Sitebuilder: http://flare9.com/
- Cub Scout Pack site: Cub Scouts
- Relationship building tools: President's blog (not WordPress)
- Niche news/visibility: The Content Wrangler (not WordPress)
- Help system for realtors: Pinellas 411 (not WordPress)
- Corporate blog: Openlogic (not WordPress)
Despite all of these others uses, WordPress works best when you use it as a blog.
About Tom Johnson
I'm an API technical writer based in the Seattle area. On this blog, I write about topics related to technical writing and communication — such as software documentation, API documentation, AI, information architecture, content strategy, writing processes, plain language, tech comm careers, and more. Check out my API documentation course if you're looking for more info about documenting APIs. Or see my posts on AI and AI course section for more on the latest in AI and tech comm.
If you're a technical writer and want to keep on top of the latest trends in the tech comm, be sure to subscribe to email updates below. You can also learn more about me or contact me. Finally, note that the opinions I express on my blog are my own points of view, not that of my employer.