Podcast: Living Multiple Lives -- The New Technical Communicator, Interview with Noz Urbina
Duration: 15 min.
In this podcast, Noz Urbina talks about how Web 2.0 is changing the role of the technical communicator into one who drives product R&D and interaction design. My discussion with Noz was a light-bulb moment for me at the Doc Train West conference.
Podcast topics include the following:
- How the role of the technical communicator has evolved into a diversity of roles
- How awareness of user needs and requirements allows technical communicators to get involved in product R&D and user interaction design
- How implementing a backwards flow of data from hundreds of internal and external users changes the role of a technical writer to one who aggregates, synthesizes, and ensures quality rather than one who merely writes
- How the technical communicator becomes the keyholder on the pipeline of customer data, which in turn allows the technical communicator to direct and define the product
- How to encourage a culture of participation through surveys and other user interviews
Noz is a business development manager for Mekon. He's also heavily involved in X-pubs.com, a nonprofit conference and information resource that produces seminars, online events, white papers, and annual conferences.
To contact Noz, send an email to [email protected]