"Load config.xml failed" message with Notepad++
Notepad++ is my favorite text editor, but lately it's been acting a bit berzerk. Every time I open it, NotePad++ says Load Config.xml failed, or something like that. It's been bugging me for weeks. I finally found the fix here. If you get a load config.xml failed message, take these general steps to fix it:
- Go to C:Program FilesNotepad++ (or wherever the program files are).
- Copy the config. model and stylers.model files.
- Go to C:UsersyourusernameAppDataRoamingNotepad++. (If you don't seen an AppData folder, just type the path and the files will appear.)
- If you see an existing config.xml and stylers.xml file in this folder, delete them.
- Paste the files you copied in step 2.
- Rename the pasted files to config.xml and stylers.xml.
About Tom Johnson
I'm a technical writer based in the San Francisco Bay area. In this blog, I write about topics related to technical writing and communication — such as software documentation, API documentation, visual communication, information architecture, writing techniques, plain language, tech comm careers, and more. Check out simplifying complexity and API documentation for some deep dives into these topics. If you're a technical writer and want to keep on top of the latest trends in the field, be sure to subscribe to email updates. You can also learn more about me or contact me.