Upcoming event:I'm giving an API documentation workshop in San Francisco, California, on November 19, 2019. Check it out on EventBrite and register today to receive a $100 early bird discount.
Write the Docs Podcast Episode 5 -- Where do we belong?
In this episode of the Write the Docs podcast, we explore where technical writers belong in an organization. Is tech comm best placed within engineering, marketing, product management, or another group? We also talk about strategies for doc navigation, in particular, the merits of inline links and/or sidebar navigation, using a post from Every Page Is Page One as a starting point. Are hierarchical sidebar menus still useful, or are they a relic of the past? Finally, we provide details about the upcoming Write the Docs conference in Portland, and Chris mentions his new book on responsive design.
Links mentioned during the podcast:
- Where do technical writers fit in an organisation, by Sarah Maddox
- Why Technical Content and Marketing Belong Together, by Doug Moran
- Write the Docs Conference in Portland
- Chris Ward’s book on Responsive Web Design
- Write the Docs app on Fire TV